Monday, September 13, 2010

A Chicken Crossing the Road who did Not Reach the Other Side

A pattern of witnessing for my trip has been stopping by varying types of roadkill and either making a note of it in my journal, or photographing it. For you, my dear readers, I have not written a catalog of them nor posted most of the photos. It's really sad to see the great variety of animals flattened and killed by vehicles: songbirds, frogs, snakes; raccoons, porcupines and groundhogs; fawns, adult deer, and red foxes.

Well! The NY Times has an article, "Using Crowds...to chart Roadkill"


It really angers me that not only do we pave, cover with concrete, or cut down huge swathes of forests, but we kill so many animals when they try to cross our roads. And one of the saddest specimens I found on California's Roadkill site http://www.wildlifecrossing.net/california/ was this black bear:



Where I found this report at http://www.wildlifecrossing.net/california/roadkill/1415, the observer noted that they saw the bear killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment