Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 11

Wednesday, August 4th: Wellsville, NY -> Little Valley, NY
Dist: 65.99
Ride Time: 5:49h
Avg Speed: 11.3
Max Speed: 31.5
Trip 519

Was packing up my tent around 10am and a fellow was on a tractor in a nearby field, mowing. I waved in his direction when he was making his turns; as I was packing up my bicycle on the edge of the road a fellow pulled up in a pickup truck and we talked for a few minutes. He started off by saying, "Eh, it donn' matter I see your leaving." He said they, a business on the other side of the woods at which I was camped, had had incidences of vandalism or theft before and that's what they were concerned about.[In all the weeks since, this has thus far been the only time someone has questioned me about where I chose to stealth camp.]

Passing through Wellsville town one last time, I stopped to make some phone calls ordering another pair of Craft cycling shorts, calling Eastern Mountain Sports back in Massachusetts to arrange to return their VERY poorly designed and stitched cycling shorts. Two different bicycle shops along my way I have had items shipped to and they've been great and accomodating about it!

An "under-the-stars" roller rink in rural NY. (Notice the two characters with roller skates on at right.)


Is this NY or the Boundary Waters in Northern MN?


Around mile 60 in Salamanca I have a "Chinese Finger Trap" experience where I can't seem to get out of town:

-> ride to center of town to get on State Park Ave
<- ride back out of town when a local advises me that State Park Ave is very steep. Reach the recomendded road at the edge of town and realize that the State Park I want to camp on is on the other side of a tall, 500 foot bluff.
-> ride back into and through the center of town, along N SR [State Route] 353 I discover that a bridge has been completely removed to be repaired, and I am redirected on detour back through the center of town to the east. Along this route I encounter about 3/4 mile of cobble-stoned residential street! In excellent condition, I didn't see a single brick missing!
<- backtrack that same distance again once I reach a bridge that is open
-> rejoin on N 353 to be on my merry way!

There was a gaggle of folks standing outside of a bar looking at motorcycles on Main St, I think they must have seen me ride by 3 times - I wonder what they thought?

For all those computer gamer friends, I saw this priceless gem near Oleana. Regrettedly, I did not stop to partake of the Quality and Quality: [For parents and the non-text message Generation, QQ can represent a person with wide eyes, tears dripping out of each corner as the "tail" of the Q - it is typically reserved for instances where the user/typist feels a individual is unnecessarily whiney.]



I make camp for the night in a somewhat soggy field a little before Little Valley, with a dinner of Granola and milk that I had bought in Wellsville.

2 comments:

  1. Best store ever. Can't believe you didn't stop in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can only imagine what their Special of the Day might be... Mystery Meat? Don't Ask Don't Tell Casserole?

    ReplyDelete