Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 13

Friday, August 6th: Stow, NY -> PA State Line
Dist: 29.20
Ride Time: 2:38h
Avg Speed: 11.0
Max Speed 51.9
Trip 595

Since I paid $27.50 for this lousy campsite, I decide to make the best of it and hang around until afternoon. I have a cooked breakfast for what feels like the first time in a week, and also fry up some tortillas to gnosh on that I've been carrying for too long.

I catch up my journal and every half hour get up to move my wallet, stack of wet paper money, and my cell phone to continue to keep them in the sun as it marches across the grass.

The laundy area was a 10 minute walk from my campsite so instead of walking back and forth 4 times, I hang out there while washing & drying. They had the oddest laundy "library" - two puzzles, a few children's story books, and a book about anorexia/bulimia-nervosa. How is that laundry-room reading material? But that's what I did end up reading and sighing about, since it was written as a psychology book in the mid 80s and in my perspective spent a lot of focus on symptoms and hardly any time discussing possible crises the teenagers were experiencing.

I even take a nap around 2pm, taking some instruction from an older fella I passed walking back reclined in his lawn chair, mouth agape.

I don't start riding until 4pm (!!) but I remind myself the journey IS my destination on this trip, and that I ought to do what I want to. For starting so late I do make a respectable 30 miles before I stop for the night, and cross into Pennslyvania. Goodbye New York! Good riddance to your eastern hills!

No photos today.

No comments:

Post a Comment