Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 6

Friday, July 30th: Deposit NY -> Owego NY
Dist 60.80
Ride Time 5:52h
Avg Speed 10.3
Max Speed 35.3
Trip 318

Very heavy dew overnight in the weed field. Dripped like rain down through the mosquito net star-gazing window-thing. So much life in these semi-abandoned pastures that get mowed once a year! A spider was laying eggs onto my tent as I packed it up, egg sac dangling out of her butt - I hope she found a more stable spot. Had two naseauting spoonfuls of saccharine cloyingly sweet yogurt - maybe this was why I found yogurt to be typically disgusting growing up, since I had only ever encounter non-cultured, pectin-thickened, sweetened milk product? Today, I missed SideHill yogurt from Ashfield.

Made Binghamton around noon, got a new seat post clamp to replace the poor quality stock one that came with the bike from Joan at Aeros Cycles. Chenango Cycles, were I had had two packages sent, was in transit between their old location (building being demolished) and new (concrete for parking lot being poured.) I was fortunate enough that Josh, an employee, had just finished cataloging all their cardboard boxes of stored inventory, and he knew right where the special orders were! I got my two cycling jerseys and most importantly, all my Adventure Cycling maps.

Had a phone call with my brother Dan, coordinating about the mail and bills that I have had forwarded to him in Minneapolis and we chatted about how my trip had been so far, and the preparations that he is making for his two week trip to Africa to join my parents.

Used the public library and was able to successfully install Firefox. Microsoft: 0; Open Source: 1.

I like bridges:




Passed a huge Lockheed Martin complex east of Owego, the entrance road leading to the security checkpoint was a 4 lane divided highway, wide enough to land a commercial airline on. My tax dollars at work? Briefly contemplated taking a photo - hah!

Another night stealth camping, this time off the road between a pond with ducks and railroad tracks. The quacking of the ducks is certainly more pleasant bed-time music than the roar of trucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment